Posts for tag: Professional Teeth Cleanings
How Professional Teeth Cleanings in Torrance, CA, Can Help Your Oral Health
Be sure to add a visit to the dentist to this year's spring cleaning list. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, a professional teeth cleaning at least twice a year can improve your oral health. Hillside Dentistry & Orthodontics, which is located in Torrance, CA, offers a complete range of dental services to the patients they serve. Read on to find out how teeth cleanings can help your oral health.
1. Examine Your Mouth: During your visit, your dental provider will examine your teeth, gums, and mouth for signs of tooth decay, periodontal (gum) disease, and other oral health problems. Your dental provider will also be able to answer any questions you might have about your oral health.
2. Remove Plaque: A professional dental cleaning is part of oral hygiene and involves the removal of dental plaque and tartar from teeth with the intention of preventing oral health issues. Tartar cannot be removed with a toothbrush; only a dental practitioner can remove it during a dental cleaning.
3. Prevent Decay: Routine dental cleanings help to prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay is the destruction of enamel that occurs when bacteria in your mouth make acids that eat away at your teeth. It can lead to holes in the teeth, called cavities. Left untreated, a cavity can cause a toothache, infection, and tooth loss.
4. Prevent Gum Disease: Periodontal disease is an inflammation of the gums. It is caused by dental plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on teeth. Periodontal disease can cause oral pain and tooth loss. Routine teeth cleanings can help you prevent periodontal disease. Although regular flossing and brushing will keep plaque in check, only your dental provider has the tools necessary to remove tartar that may have built up on your teeth.
5. Avoid Tooth Loss: Preventing tooth loss requires a long-term commitment to smart, healthy choices. Gum disease is a common cause of tooth loss in adults. Fortunately, the chance of this happening to you can be greatly reduced by flossing and brushing regularly and getting dental checkups and professional dental cleanings at least twice a year.
To keep your oral health in check, call Hillside Dentistry & Orthodontics at (310) 530-4300 today to schedule an appointment for a teeth cleaning in Torrance, CA. Regular dental visits and teeth cleanings will put you on a healthy pathway that can continue throughout your entire life. We want you to live your best life possible!